International Experience: Exploring Study Abroad Opportunities at Trevecca

Study-Abroad-Trevecca-Blog

Study abroad opportunities are available to Trevecca’s traditional undergraduate students—and it’s something senior Charles Anderson wished more students knew about.

Anderson, an international business major set to graduate in May, spent the Fall 2018 semester studying abroad through the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) BestSemester program. Anderson participated in BestSemester’s Latin American Studies Program, studying in Costa Rica and visiting Cuba. He studied Spanish, immersed himself in a field experience at a development company and got the chance to experience a culture different from his own. Here are a few things he wants Trevecca’s students to know about study abroad opportunities.

1. You have a lot of opportunities to choose from.

Designed to extend the educational mission of CCCU member colleges and universities, the BestSemester program currently offers 10 off-campus and study abroad opportunities. These range from spending a semester studying film in Los Angeles to exploring history in the Middle East or studying poverty in Uganda.

2. You’ll get a chance to see life from a different perspective.

Anderson spent the fall semester in Costa Rica and got to experience life in Cuba and other Latin American countries as well. It was a chance to see how other people live and learn about a different culture. “We got to see how [other people live],” he says. “It made me reflect on my own life, and I just immersed myself in the experience.” Anderson and his classmates lived with host families, immersed themselves in the Spanish language and learned about Latin American history, relations, music, food and more.

3. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

“As an international business major, this added a lot [to my educational experience],” Anderson says. “I’ve traveled before but living in a different country that prepared me for life outside of an educational purpose,” Anderson says. “Being able to function in another country—as an international business major—that helped me a lot, too.”  At his field experienced, Anderson participated in weekly meetings during which he had to conduct business in Spanish. On the trip to Cuba, he and classmates got to meet officials, visit museums and learn more about the country’s history, culture and more.

4. It’s hard but so worth it.

Leaving your comfort zone isn’t easy, Anderson says, but it was worth it. As an international business major, studying abroad was an important way to enhance his resume and gain confidence that he can conduct business in a language that’s not his own. While gathering the paperwork and getting ready to go took a good amount of work, Anderson doesn’t regret any of it. “It took a good two months to get everything together but getting out of your comfort zone [is good],” Anderson says.

5. More Trevecca students should participate.

Anderson is currently serving as an ambassador for study abroad and hopes that his experience encourages more students to take part. “I’m hoping that what I do will spark some interest,” he says. “There are a lot of students who are interested and I’m planning to host at least two events on campus. I’m hoping what I do will inspire someone [to go].”