Get to Know Brodrick Thomas

| Faculty

While he may be new to his position, Trevecca’s recently appointed Alumni Association president certainly isn’t new to the Trevecca community.

Thomas Brodrick headshot“I couldn’t get enough of Trevecca,” laughed Brodrick Thomas, explaining how he earned an MBA, a master’s degree in organizational leadership and a doctorate in educational leadership from the University over a 10-year span. 

Thomas went on to work as Trevecca’s director of community engagement and reconciliation before transitioning to his current career role as director of diversity, community and inclusion at Franklin Road Academy, a private pre-K-12 school in Nashville. 

He moved to Middle Tennessee in 2011 after receiving his Bachelor of Science in business administration from Auburn University. He and his wife Lauren (also a Trevecca graduate) have two children.

What brought you to Nashville? 
My best friend when I was growing up, Jacob Morris, was Nazarene. He was this amazing kid with a heart for Christ who shared the gospel with me at a young age. He’s now a Nazarene pastor in Scotland. 

After high school Jacob attended Trevecca. When I graduated from Auburn, Jacob invited me to visit Nashville. I fell in love with the city and with Trevecca and decided to attend graduate school here. It changed my life. 

How did Trevecca impact you? 
Trevecca helped me understand my faith and how to apply it to the world. It also stamped on my heart the call to serve. It showed me how to live out what I believe and how that kind of missional mindset can impact others. And it helped me grow from a young adult into a husband and a father.  

Which experiences at Trevecca prepared you for your current role? 
When I first began working at Trevecca, I was a retention specialist. I worked with students who had challenges that made it difficult at times for them to continue their education—those who were undocumented or struggled economically. I began to see the deep needs in our diverse community, and that built within me compassion and a desire to make a difference. 

Trevecca Provost Tom Middendorf was a mentor to me during that time. He saw something in me that I didn’t see in myself. He told me I had a gift for working with students. I discovered how life-changing the field of education could be. Tom helped me understand its impact. 

What are you hoping to contribute to the Alumni Association?
In this volunteer role, I want to represent alumni interests and also connect more of our alumni with each other. The University has grown so much in recent years through our graduate and online programs that we need to increase our efforts of engagement. 

I also plan to prioritize how alumni can support the University through giving. Trevecca has amazing potential to continue to make an impact on students, but this will only happen if we can come together and sustain ongoing and future needs through generosity, community and the belief that the world needs what Trevecca has to offer.