Echeverria Leaves Honduras, Finds New Home at Trevecca

| Student Life

HondurasFlagWhen Francis Banegas Echeverria graduated high school in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, an education at Trevecca was something she never even considered.

“I didn’t know anything about Trevecca because my high school didn’t help with applications outside of my country,” said Echeverria. “But one of my close friends said that she had applied to Trevecca and told me everything about it.”

Echeverria had a clear path in her home country and was studying in law school. However, the arrival of the pandemic caused her to reconsider her future plans.

“I really like my major but when Covid started, everything changed and I wanted to apply to study in another country,” said Echeverria. “In my country, we have a lot of social and economic problems so my parents and I decided that the best thing for myself and my future would be to apply to another university.”

Despite the challenges of a world rocked by a pandemic, she persisted and got in touch with Trevecca’s admissions department who helped her navigate the process of applying to a university in the United States during Covid.

“I was able to connect with admissions and they helped me a lot,” said Echeverria. “I didn’t know how to apply because it was during Covid and everything was closed. I couldn't do tests like the SATs but they worked with me.”

After receiving her acceptance letter, she moved to Tennessee but had concerns about how she would fit in at a new school in a new nation.

“I had my doubts, I thought, ‘what if I don’t fit in because I'm from another country? Will people make fun of how I speak or my skin color?’” Said Echeverria.

In the midst of all the change, she was met by a community that not only accepted her, but embraced her and her unique background.

“When my parents left, it was so hard for me but the good thing about staying at Trevecca is that everyone is so welcoming. It doesn’t matter if you came from another country or another city, they’re always welcoming with a warm hug and if you need help, they’re there for you,” said Echeverria. “Another thing that I like is that there are a lot of people from my country here. It is easier for me because we speak in Spanish and I have people I can relate to.”

Echeverria intends to graduate in May 2023 with a degree in psychology. She hopes to stay in the United States for law school. Her advice for international students considering Trevecca is simple: trust God and know Trevecca welcomes all students with open arms.

“Pray to God and leave it to Him because he will make a path for you,” said Echeverria. “You’re going to meet a lot of people at Trevecca, people you may know for the rest of your life and you’re going to become a family. That's what I love, we’re a community and you will feel like you’re home.”