Class of 2024 Reflections: A letter to faculty from Kelly Poyo

| Student Life

Kelly Poyo HeadshotTrevecca Faculty,

It’s an honor to write this to you. Let me precede the rest of my gratitude by saying, “Thank you for letting me be here in the first place.”

This semester coming to a close has me bubbling up with memories, nostalgia and thankfulness. It’s impossible to tell the story of my Trevecca experience without mentioning the impact that you have had on me.

I spent three semesters undecided on my major before joining the communications department, being met by the friendliest people I’ve ever met. Soon after, I headed to the Middle East for a study abroad program. Before I left, you helped me work everything out so that I was well-prepared to take my courses overseas. Upon returning, I had lots of help honing in on some of my newly discovered passions, such as intercultural and interfaith studies.

Along those lines, I struggled with some pretty serious questions about my faith. You met me with nothing but kindness and grace as you helped walk me through even my deepest questions.

One of the main reasons I chose to attend Trevecca was because of the desire to be known personally by my professors, and that has been my exact experience. You are doing exactly what the students need. You are equipping us to discover and refine our passions that we will apply to our futures both professionally and personally. You are changing the world by preparing us as well as you can.

I can’t thank you enough for investing in me, believing in me, and answering the many emails of mine over these past four years.