Remembering Jim Foglesong

| Academics

Trevecca lost a beloved former professor when Jim Foglesong, the founding director of Trevecca’s Music Business Program, died Tuesday, July 9. Foglesong is known around the world as a Country Music Hall of Famer and groundbreaking music executive who signed Garth Brooks, George Strait, The Oak Ridge Boys and others. Below are just a few of the words shared on Facebook by the Trevecca community in remembrance of Jim.

Tammi Weed
I owe so much to James S. Foglesong. At first he was my professor, then he became my mentor and after I left Trevecca Nazarene University, he became my dear friend. He was the one who convinced my parents that Nashville was the place for me to be... He got me my first job in the music business and taught me much of what I know today. I'm deeply saddened by our loss but will be forever grateful to him and forever inspired by his legacy. Professor Foglesong, the honor was all mine...

Nathan D. Owen
Today I have to reflect on the life of Jim Foglesong. He was a great teacher, a truly kind man who believed in people and encouraged the pursuit of knowledge and the development of talents. He always had words of encouragement for me and a great story to tell. RIP, sir.

Abby Buter
So sad to hear the news about one of my favorite professors. Such a great man!

Sharon Smith Hankins
A country gentleman and TRUE legend of country music recording and business has passed away. RIP, Jim Foglesong. Thank you for sharing a part of your amazing life with the students of Trevecca!

Tommy McKenzie
RIP, Jim Foglesong. Today the music industry lost a giant and I lost a friend and mentor.

Anne Nicole Royster
I just got word that James S. Foglesong passed away. Much of the world may not realize what they lost, but those of us from Trevecca Nazarene University do. The man was a giant in the music industry, but he was also a giant when it came to life. Though he appeared like a quiet, grandfatherly type, his quips in class soon taught us to stay on our toes. He only had kind things to say and went out of his way to truly treat others the way he would want to be treated. He was understanding, quick to let me sneak in the side door of class when my internship schedule interfered with me getting there on time. He built us all up, coming to our recitals and performances, smiling blissfully the whole time. He had faith in me; when I thought I was merely mediocre, he encouraged me to think more highly of myself and pursue the industry I loved. His faith in God was at the core of his life, and it leaked into everything he did. I cry not for him, but for my and the world's loss. JFo, though your passing was not unexpected, I will miss you terribly. Thank you for all your love.

Nate Pruitt
I had so many friends learn under Jim Foglesong that had nothing but glowing things to say about him. He was an inspiration to many and Trevecca was better off for having him. Until we reunite to sing together again...

Judith Baker
The world has lost a true legend in the music industry. A man who always had time to be my friend and mentor - Dr. Jim Foglesong. I will miss your kind eyes. My thoughts and prayers are with the Foglesong family.

Christina Stealey
The music industry lost a great man today. RIP, Jim Foglesong.

Josh Kelley
He was such a wonderful man, and teacher. It was a pleasure knowing him. He will truly be missed.

Amanda Poff
My music business professor from college passed away today. He was an amazing man. Full of a quiet faith, integrity, honor and spunk. If ever there was someone I would aspire to be like in the industry, it would be Jim Foglesong. You will be missed!

Gregory Ruff
Jim Foglesong, simply one of the best gentlemen I've ever known. Life extremely well lived.

Nathan Knight
Sadden to hear the passing of dear friend, my college professor and a man I looked up to in Music business, Jim Foglesong.

David Diehl
Jim directed and taught in the Music Business program at Trevecca Nazarene University in Nashville, TN for 10 years (1999--2008). Even in his later years, he was a creative and agile thinker. In addition, he was a great ambassador for the school and poured his life into his students as both a techer and mentor. He was also a good friend of mine and will be missed.

Lindsay Huggins
I am saddened to hear of his passing today. I think it's unfortunate for both Professor Foglesong and Trevecca that his contributions to the Music Business program and students there are often overlooked in the "media" coverage. Thank you for sharing this information here. I, for one, am grateful.

Jeff E Cox
So sad to hear - a great man.

Peg Cooning
A gentle, funny, sweet man who was so very humble. Once he knew I lived in West Virginia for 12 years, we had an instant connection. Always willing to share his connections, his knowledge and his heart.

J Edward Campbell
Sorry for the loss. Sending thoughts and prayers to the family and friends.

Carlson Gray Swafford
Jim Foglesong helped students to feel like they were somebody, even as they entered an industry which told them that they were nothing.

Bri Black
I loved our debates. What a wealth of knowledge.

We encourage you to add your own words of remembrance in a comment below.