Today marks a special day as we dedicate this bell tower and remember Dr. Millard Reed. We, the student body of Trevecca, are grateful for this beautiful addition to our campus. While I never had the privilege to meet Dr. Reed, my father recalls his deep faith in God, his sensitive heart to the needs of those around him, and the ability to sing joyfully even as the years progressed. Song was such an important part of Dr. Reed's life. Music would bring him to tears and to a worshipful laughter as he recalled how great God's love was for this world. Many of you to this day can still hear him sing the hymn, Love Of God. So in the same spirit, this tower sings. It offers with each chime a reminder that life is precious and that each moment should be lived for the glory of God.
It’s common knowledge that molding and influencing children must start at a very early age. So that’s exactly what my wife and I decided to do with our grandchildren. As each one turned 7, they joined us in on our annual Homecoming adventure to our Alma Mater, Trevecca Nazarene University, in Nashville.
We had very few rules— chocolate cookies for breakfast, no set bedtime, and having fun was a must. Our goal for this trip was to encourage them to attend Trevecca when it came time to choosing a college.
When I was a student at Trevecca, there was a program on the radio sponsored by a local company—a funeral home, I believe—called “Something to Think About.” I always listened because of the catchy title, so today, I thought I’d borrow it myself.
Something to Think About:
- Among the “50 Most Affordable Christian Colleges in the U.S.,” Trevecca Nazarene University was recently listed as #13. (Full list here.)
- Trevecca is ranked #15 among the fastest growing universities with doctoral programs. It’s nice when others recognize Trevecca’s attempt to make it affordable while also being academically strong.
- As alumni, all of us know that there is value at Trevecca that cannot be quantified.
- This year, Trevecca has set new enrollment records for both incoming freshmen and total traditional undergraduate students. (More here.)
- Parents will sacrifice, save money, and be inconvenienced to send their elementary children to a faith-based school through high school, but get this…
- 96% of evangelical Christians never think about sending their children to a Christian university.
So I read a list on Facebook of the best… well, you name it. One list I recently came across shared the Best Christian Universities. I’m not sure what yardstick they were using to measure colleges against, but for me, the following list came to mind.
The Best Christian University should…
Strange title, huh? These three names have much significance in my life. The first is the town where I grew up, the second is my father, and the third is my mother: all three significant because that's where my legacy began. My worldview began to take shape thanks to these three names.
Two words that express what’s in my heart: Thank you. Thank you, Trevecca, and Thank you, Trevecca alumni.
I will never forget that “sea of smiles” when thousands gathered in Trevecca’s Quad for the 2014 Trevecca Commencement on May 3.
As I stood in line with administrators, faculty, trustees, and graduates, waiting for the signal to start the processional for this special day’s events, I noticed that everyone around was smiling.
Saturday, May 3rd at 9:00 AM
A positive spirit characterized the spring meeting of the Trevecca Board of Trustees, and the Board’s actions are very exciting to me because they are indications of incredible opportunities for Trevecca’s future.
1. Trustees unanimously approved the nomination of alumna Holly Whitby as the new dean of enrollment management. Holly has a deep history with Trevecca and a passion for selling Trevecca to prospective students.
Experience a Christian University in the heart of Nashville where education doesn't just take place in the classroom. After all, no syllabus can cover your spiritual journey, or connect you with the lifelong friends you make in college, or replicate the rewarding experience of living in a thriving city. At Trevecca Nazarene University, it's not just about graduating great students - it's about graduating great people.